I thought I'd post the Teacher Orientation sheet that our
New teachers will receive a copy of this from the
Bishopric member who issues them their calling and the Primary presidency member
"over" their class will meet with the new teacher(s) and verbally go over the
information. The page is to be kept in their binders and substitute teachers
have a copy also. (I am sure that policies are different in other wards/stakes,
but this reflects our guidelines.)
This is a very sacred calling and you have been given a great responsibility for
the children in your class
- Get to know each child and their family.
- Pray for them by name.
- Recognize their accomplishments and their good
- Let them know that you love and care about them.
Go to their house, send them a note, or call them whenever they are absent
- Prayerfully prepare the lessons each week. Read
the helps in the manual and Teaching, No Greater Call to help you magnify
Schedules & Meetings
- Follow the Sunday schedule and the lesson
schedule found in the binder.
- Attend Sunday meetings each week, Quarterly
Activities, teacher training meetings once a quarter, Teacher Appreciation
activities to get to know the other Primary workers and other meetings as
- Primary is an important time in each child's life
and it needs to be a positive experience.
- Having a reverent atmosphere makes Primary a
wonderful place to be where the Spirit can touch lives.
- You can help set the atmosphere by
- Starting your class on time
- Begin preparing the lessons a week ahead to give
plenty of time to pray for guidance and prepare handouts or an activity
- Including attention getters and hands on
activities rather than just a "lecture lesson"
- Participating in Music & Sharing Time and
encouraging the children to do so also
- Please set limits with the children in your class.
This includes inside of your classroom as well as during Music & Sharing
- Discuss expectations with the children
- Separate children who are disrupting
- Talk with them privately and if necessary with
Prayers, Talks, and Scriptures
- When you find assignment slips in your roll
folder, please pass them out to the children. If a child is not in
attendance, please take the slip to their house.
- When you are going to be absent, it is your
responsibility to find a substitute. First call the substitutes on the
list; then ask parents of the children in your class. If you still can't
find a sub, call the Presidency member over your class for suggestions.
- Always call the Presidency member over you and
let them know you will be absent. If they are unavailable, call another
- Fill out the substitute sheet in the binder and
be sure to include any notes that would be helpful for the substitute
- Follow through with the substitute to find out
how the day went.
- Two or three times a year, your class will need
to present a 15 minute Sharing Time.
- Please involve your class as much as possible.
- You will be given a topic to base your lesson
- Resources include The Friend and the Sacrament
Meeting outline (in the binder).
- Do not use non-church approved materials
http://www.eprimary.dk/ is a great resource.
- Please use the scriptures during your lesson.
- Bear testimony of the principle being taught.
- Plan ahead and be prepared.
- We have been asked to not give the children food
or candy unless it directly applies to the lesson.
- More appropriate tokens would be stickers,
bookmarks, pencils, etc. If you need these items, talk to the Presidency
member over you.
- Remember that we are trying to teach the children
to behave appropriately because it is the right thing to do and not because
they will receive a sticker if they do.
- You can have a class party every so often. Be
sure to let the Presidency member over you and the parents know in advance
of your plans. Find out any allergies and restrictions.
- Remember to never be alone with a child.
- It is important to not be alone with a child. If
you are teaching by yourself and you only have one child left to be picked
up after church, wait with them in the hallway.
- If a child needs to go to the bathroom or get a
drink during class, Sharing Time or Music Time, you MUST accompany them. If
you are teaching alone, enlist the help of a Presidency member to either
take the child or sit with your class.
- If you discover a child is missing, alert the
Primary Presidency immediately.