When I am baptized, I am
following the example of Jesus
Friend July 2005, suggestion # 2
208 (John the Baptist Baptizing Jesus) and teach the story of Christ's
Teach that when we are baptized, we are following the
example of Jesus. (Refer to
2 Nephi 31:4–13.)
601 (Baptism) and ask the children what happens when you are baptized.
Explain the following steps of baptism using some of the suggested activities:
- You must be at least eight years old.
Sing the first verse of "I
Like My Birthdays" (p. 104).
- You will have an interview with the bishop. Invite a
member of the bishopric to teach the children about the interview.
- You will wear white clothing. If possible, have some
baptismal clothing to show the children.
- The baptism must be performed by a worthy priest or
Melchizedek Priesthood holder. (See activity for #5.)
- Baptism is by immersion, so you will be completely
covered with water. Referring to GAK
601, explain how a baptism is performed. Invite a priest or returned
missionary to bear testimony of the gift of the priesthood and the joy that
comes from participating in a baptism.Encourage the older boys to look
forward to performing priesthood ordinances.
- Baptism is for the remission of sins and confirmation
gives you the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Practice the song for this month, "When
I Am Baptized" (p. 103).
- You will also be confirmed a member of The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Invite two or three older Primary
children to tell about the day they were baptized.
Church of Jesus Christ" (p. 77).