Holding Hands Around the World (July
2002, pg. 44)
Friend April 2006, suggestion
Song Presentation: "Holding
Hands Around the World"
Teach the chorus first.
Divide the children into four groups.
- Tell the first group to join hands and echo the first
phrase back to you after you sing it: "We are children holding hands around
- Tell the second group to march in place and extend
their arms as if they were holding a large flag and echo, "Like an army with
the gospel flag unfurled."
- Tell the third group to gesture with their arms
toward heaven as they echo, "We are led by His light," and place their hands
on their hearts as they echo, "And we love truth and right."
- Ask the fourth group to think of something they do to
build the kingdom—help others, bring friends to Primary, pay tithing, etc.
Choose one action to mimic as they echo back to you, "We are building the
kingdom of God."
- Sing the chorus by groups, then exchange phrases and
- Sing the first verse for them in phrases and clap the
- Have them repeat each phrase, clapping and singing
Gather or draw simple pictures to illustrate the words:
- Primary picture 3–65 (children singing in Primary),
600 (The World),
- a smiley face, a bell, a flashlight.
- Have one child demonstrate "standing tall,"
- another child "walking strong,"
- another holding a CTR shield for "choosing right."
- Or have all the children stand for "standing
tall," march in place for "walking strong," and hold up their CTR rings for
- Have them sit down on the two rest beats.
Follow the same approach to teach the second half of the