There is safety in following
CSMP booklet pg. 7
Show a picture of Moses, and explain that Moses was a prophet who led his
people to safety.
Explain that the Israelites were in bondage to Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, and
the Lord told Moses to lead them out of Egypt (see Exodus 3:10).
Tell the story from Exodus 14, and invite the children to act it out with you.
- "The people followed Moses across the desert (walk in place).
- They came to the sea (make waves with arms).
- The people looked back (look back)
- and saw Pharaoh and his army following them (make sound of running
horses by slapping hands on legs).
- They were afraid (show fear)."
Read Exodus 14:13, and then continue with the
- "The Lord told Moses to lift up his rod (pretend to lift up a rod),
- and the sea parted (spread arms apart).
- The people followed Moses safely through the sea on dry ground to the
other side (walk in place).
- When Pharaoh’s army tried to follow them, the Lord told Moses to stretch
out his hand, and the waters came back together (bring arms together).
Pharaoh’s army drowned in the sea. The people were safe because they followed